MINUTES OF TENBY HARBOUR USER’S ASSOCIATION – AGM HELD AT TENBY SAILING CLUB, 30 APRIL 2015 @19:00
Angus Dunlop (Chair)
Blake Shaw (Vice Chair)
Bev Summers (Acting Secretary)
County Councillor Jon Preston
County Councillor Michael Williams
County Councillor Mike Evans
1. There were no minutes of the last meeting to distribute.
2. The Chair opened the meeting by advising members that Jenny Bradley, the former Secretary of Tenby Harbour User’s Association (THUA) was stepping down after 20 years in the role and thanked her for her valued work and commitment. Paul Cowper nominated Bev Summers as the new Secretary. Action: Members agreed.
3. The Chair gave an update on communications regarding the THUA. He advised that communication was at the heart of THUA and with a view to better this a dedicated website and facebook page had been put in place. Both acting as notice board and rallying cry. As a result of these actions membership had risen from approximately 50 to 300. Although an improvement on previous numbers it was agreed that there was scope to increase membership and support significantly.
4. Paul Cowper outlined the current situation regarding Pembrokeshire County Council’s position in relation to the setting up of a Harbour Board for Tenby. He confirmed that the Council were still waiting for advice from legal advisers but understood that independent marine consultants would be appointed to undertake a wide ranging consultation exercise. The Harbour Board structure was discussed and examples were given of other Harbour Boards in the UK which were operating effectively. County Councillor Jon Preston thought it was important that any future Chairman of a Harbour Board should be elected by harbour users. Members were strongly in favour of a Harbour Board for Tenby. Paul Cowper suggested that a meeting should be arranged with Barry Cooke, Head of Property, Pembrokeshire County Council to discuss setting up a steering group. Members agreed. Action: Angus Dunlop and Paul Cowper to request a meeting with Head of Property, Pembrokeshire County Council.
5. Members discussed ways of raising awareness of the THUA including holding an event in the harbour. It was suggested that in view of the number of summer events already arranged by Tenby Round Table and Tenby Lions that THUA should piggy back onto some of those events. Members agreed. Action: Angus Dunlop to take forward.
6. A wide ranging discussion took place on number of issues including finances for the Harbour, visitor moorings and vacant stores. The waiting list for non visitor moorings was raised by members. The Chair advised that he had met with the Harbourmaster to discuss this issue and that the Harbourmaster confirmed that he had written to those on the waiting list to ask if the moorings were still required. Members requested evidence of the letter. Councillor M. Williams said he had been told by the head of property that a waiting list was still in place. Action: Angus Dunlop to follow up with Harbourmaster and PCC.
7. The lack of consultation in relation to the tendering procedure for the 7 new moorings was raised. It was suggested that the Chair should write to Ian Westley, acting Chief Executive Officer, Pembrokeshire County Council to raise members objections and that the letter should be copied to Councillor Michael Williams. Action: Angus Dunlop/Paul Cowper to take forward.
8. Membership of the THUA was raised. It was agreed to re-elect Angus Dunlop as Chair, Blake Shaw as Vice Chair and Chris Lawrence as Treasurer. Action: Agreed.
9. The following representatives were also agreed:
10. No other items of business were raised.